Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Determination.

by Chad Bentz

I was just a young kid from Alaska that was born without a fully developed right hand.  What I later learned is that I couldn't of asked for anything more because that’s all I needed to start my long grueling road to the major leagues.

I started my sporting career as a hockey player and attempted to play baseball as well.  In a pitching machine league, the coach stuck me at pitcher and my teammates weren't the best when they would always tell me over and over that handicap kids couldn't play baseball.  After one baseball game I told my folks that I wasn't having any more fun and that I didn't want to play ball anymore and they had no problem with it.  All was well and good until we moved from Palmer, AK to Juneau, AK, which didn't have any hockey let alone an ice rink.  I was very disappointed to say the least, especially since I was the new kid in school with the screwed up hand.     

Elementary school was a rough time for me.  I had anyone and everyone judging and usually making fun of my hand, so I started putting my hand in my pocket until one day I was at our lake house in Michigan and saw a man pitching for the California Angels and he was switching his glove every time he threw and caught the ball.  My dad quickly informed me that this man pitching in the major leagues was missing his right hand.  I instantly felt an amazing feeling rush over my entire body making me feel something I don’t remember ever feeling before.  I didn't leave the TV and watched the entire outing.  That man’s name was Jim Abbott.  He changed my life in so many ways that this computer doesn't have enough memory to hold it all.  He gave me the confidence to try things and to try out for little league once again even though I had many reservations about it.  During my first season, I threw my first no-hitter, which I didn't even know what that was.  It was all done after that.

I spent my teen-age years in Michigan playing in a Connie Mack league.  I thought I was a pretty good pitcher when I was sixteen years old, until I pitched my first game in Michigan.  I got lit up pretty hard and didn't even last 2 innings.  I was extremely humbled and realized very quick that I had to start working if I wanted to get better quality hitters out.  When I went home I started hitting the weights and didn't look back.  I wanted to work and sweat more than the other guy out there who was trying to make the same goal I had.  I spent two more summers in Michigan and even had the chance to play in the Connie Mack World Series, which was a great experience.  

After my senior year of high school I was fortunate enough to get drafted by the New York Yankees in the 34th round.  I was beside myself being drafted by the yanks, but I knew it wasn't time for me to sign, so I decided to go to Long Beach State.  During that time I had to privilege to meet Jim Abbott face to face, which was a dream come true.  A lot of people have their favorite players, but Abbott is much more than that.  He gave me the courage to try and do things where as before I saw him pitch on TV, I would shy away from.  After two great seasons there I was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 7th round and decided to start the hard road of professional baseball with the destination being the major leagues.  

My first spring training was exciting.  I remember seeing all the big league guys working out or practicing in the fields we couldn't go on, but just seeing them in real life was thrilling enough.  Then I met Tommy John and he introduced himself and was very kind and welcoming, asking me how I was doing and that he heard a lot of good things about me.  I just remembered thinking to myself, “this is the guy who’s saved thousands of careers because he had the courage to undergo a experimental surgery”.  I always felt comfortable around Tommy because he’s so easy going and he has even more stories and he tells them extremely well to that you can picture what he’s talking about in your mind as he’s telling the story.  Another reason is that he had so many different nicknames for me, with “Mercedes” being my favorite, since my last name is Bentz.  Unfortunately though Tommy was the Triple A pitching coach and I was in Short Season A.  

I pitched well my first year in pro ball as a starter.  I worked my tail off in the off-season.  I was in the gym religiously no less than five days a week.  I had another decent year and again worked and sweated my tail off in the off-season.  Finally, I had a break out season in Double A and earned a spot on the 40-man roster with Montreal.  I went to my first big camp not expecting to make the club by any means.  I just took the ball when they gave it to me and tried my best to get hitters out.  Each week passed by and I still was on the major league side of spring training until the last day of camp came and I was walking into the clubhouse after pitching to a minor league team and Frank Robinson, the Manager, told me “congratulations, you’re a big leaguer now”!  It was one of the best memories I have, along with seeing Abbott on TV for the first time, meeting Abbott face to face, my daughter being born, and I guess my wedding day!

My road to the big leagues probably isn't an everyday tail, but all is took was determination, perseverance, and sweat.  I am no physical specimen to say the very least, but I worked and got better.  Anyone can make it if they want to and if you give it everything you have, you’ll be able to lay down at night and sleep with ease, not wondering the “what ifs”.  Play until someone tells you that you cant anymore.  You have your whole life to work and only one shot of making it in whatever it is you want to do or be.  Believe in yourself and work hard and more times than not good things will come, whether it’s in your life dream or something else.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment